A little while ago, we had first decided that we would move out of our unit, if another unit in the building, (a much larger unit sans a balcony) became open for rental. Several apartments came up, but none were as large as ours IS. And we have a balcony.
The building was getting ready to raise rents, as our lease came up for renewal. In the hunt for another unit, an offer was put on the table, by the building manager. That offer was to put in brand new floors in the apartment, which would indeed raise our rent considerably.
On Tuesday this past week, the build team arrived at 8 in the morning to begin pulling up carpet and laying laminate flooring.
We had spent the previous three days packing everything up in boxes, so we could move the larger furniture around them. They were not happy with the way we had packed up, because we assumed that they would follow the lead we wanted them to take.
Alas, they did not. So we spent the better part of the morning moving furniture around and piling it up like a trash heap. In the end, they took all day Tuesday to lay the flooring, and that evening it took us HOURS to sort out our belongings and reset the place.
Hubby had filed our taxes early, so we had a massive dump of income to the house over the weekend. We spent about $325.00 on paint and supplies. Yesterday we began painting the entire apartment.
We ran with a four color palette. Two grey tones, one mid-dark, and the other an almost charcoal dark for the kitchen. We used a light blue in the office and dining rooms, and a brighter blue for the bathroom and the coat closet, next to the front door.
If you go to my Instagram Account: [jeremy 1350] you can see the video of the refresh. I don’t have video capability on the blog. I don’t use that function often enough to spend another $100 CAD for a business template.
Yesterday, we spent some money on a wall unit book case, a new desk for myself, and a cabinet for the television and stereo/dvd system. That is coming on Thursday this week.
Soon we will be purchasing a new dining room set and a pantry cart for the kitchen. [A much larger pantry cart] than the one we currently use. We need a further food storage solution which is integrated into the pantry cabinet coming this week.
Once we complete the furniture refresh across the board, we will have, finally, 18 ears later, have replaced every single old piece of furniture we own. This process began a number of years ago, when we finally had ample income to start refreshing the apartment. For many, many years, we did not have two nickles to rub together, we were hard pressed, financially for years and years.
That Financial Promise took 13 years to arrive for us …
This is the new kitchen color, a dark charcoal shade. It is quite striking. And goes well with the new floors.
All of the work has been completed. Now the real test.
They say if you survive putting together an IKEA cabinet, you are good to be married. They used to take engaged couples to Ikea for a shop, then ask them to put together the most complicated cabinet. And if man and woman survived that shop AND build, they were good to get married.
I know we practically were homicidal inside that IKEA store. And we nearly killed each other trying to put together all the furniture we had bought on that shop. And this week we are doing it all over again.
MINUS the homicidal Ikea Shopping experience.
Thank God for online shopping.
More to come.